At Freerange we aim to nurture natural curiosity and cultivate a lifelong love for learning. We believe in learning through hands-on, spontaneous real-world experiences based in the community. We recognise each young person as an individual, and strive to support their unique path of self-discovery.
Freerange Education Learning Centre is a part of a global network of micro-schools, called Agile
Learning Centers. Agile Learning Centers are on a mission to restore the joy of learning with a
surprisingly effective educational approach: intentional culture supporting self-directed learning
reinforced by agile management tools.
Let’s break that down.
Self-Directed: Humans are natural learners. When children get to follow their passions, they engage
deeply, learning more quickly and thoroughly – covering years of content in weeks at the time they
choose to learn it.
Intentional Culture: At ALCs children feel they are heard, they belong, and they make a difference.
As social creatures, we thrive in this kind of vibrant community which builds our confidence,
heightens our communication skills, and calls forth our best selves
Agile Management Tools: We use practical and concrete tools to make these lofty-sounding ideals
real and reliable. These tools and practices provide visible feedback, effective self-management,
clarity of purpose, and easy integration of new patterns as needs change.
You can read more about agile tools on www.agilelearningcenters.org.
Welcomes students AGED 5 TO 18… who are self-directing their education or need a space to work through their chosen curriculum. Private tutoring is available.
is FOR WORKING PARENTS WHO… still have a passionate desire to unschool or homeschool their child/ren. We provide an inspiring learning environment for your child/ren while you fulfill your work obligations.
is a wholesome child-centered option… a team effort where our ultimate goal is to empower young people to take full responsibility and ownership of their own learning, their self-directed future, and their healthy, happy lives.
Our Ten Guiding Principles:
1. Learning is a way of life, not a job or a chore. Learning happens naturally all the time. It’s
not a result of teaching.
2. Children are beings with limitless potential. Accomplishment is achieved through cycles of
intention, creation, reflection and sharing.
3. Give children the finest food, i.e. fresh food for the body, brilliant material for the mind,
beauty and creativity for the heart. Also recognise their spirit.
4. Put great emphasis on speech, what you speak, how you speak and how you speak to
others. Encourage good manners. Grace and courtesy.
5. Give children access to quietness and steadiness. Let all facilitators and children gather
together and see and feel the unity of the group and of humanity.
6. Establish and encourage service of each other in the learning centre. Move from care of
oneself, to care of family, community, nation and world.
7. The environment should contain both order and beauty. Improvement and adjustment of
learning environment is a democratic process.
8. Set intentions for each day. Reflect at the end of the day.
9. Avoid criticism: parents of facilitators, facilitators of parents, and parents and facilitators of
children. Respect each other and use positive language as much as possible.
10. Respect your space, the equipment and the environment.